Read the excerpt from the Wikipedia article on the Colorado Balloon Incident, and then answer the following questions.
- What is the volume of the balloon, in cubic meters?
- How many cubic feet are in one cubic meter?
- What is the lift capacity of helium at sea level at 0° C?
- The article states that the balloon would be sufficient to lift 29 kg at sea level. Show how this would be calculated.
- How high above Fort Collins did the balloon reach?
- How much helium would have been needed to carry Falcon Heene to an altitude of 8,000 feet?
Note: These questions are released to the public domain, and may be used or modified without attribution.